Sunday, March 4, 2012

february.

what i wore - sunday morning edition.


this past month has truly been one of the best ones in my life. it was busy, and fun, and filled with so many glimpses of my future could be like.  i've learned and actually applied what i've learned more this month than i've ever done in all of college, or really in my life, so far.

this month was fun. kailin - my best friend and roommate -  contributed to a lot of that fun. she surprised me, totally surprised me, by getting us tickets to see NeedToBreathe, my all time fav, in concert! they were amazing and sounded even better in concert. other fun roommate adventures included free chick-fil-a nights, spur of the moment makeup shopping at Sephora, and thrifting at our favorite Goodwill. i found a anthropologie skirt and even bought a pair of boots!

Stephanie's 21st.

Fat Tuesday Pancake partay.


we also hosted two apartmento parties this month. i love that our apartmento is big enough for all of our friends. i love having people over. i love that we're the "party apartment". i love celebrating birthdays and special parties. i love making people feel special. i have so many party ideas spinning through my head now - tea parties, holiday celebrations, maybe we'll have even an Our Lady of Guadeloupe fiesta next year?


free Houston Symphony concert and my favorite cathedral? it  happened. front row seats? of course! such a fun night with marissa, stephanie, and kailin.

nursing school just keeps getting better and better (and harder and harder). two lecture classes, two online classes, one group projecto class, and two clinicals have kept me mighty busy. my clinicals are awesome. the highlight of my week for sure. my adult and women's clinicals are polar opposites - cancer and babies - yet equally challenging and wonderful. finally checked off those Foley catheter and IV skills. and in the process for interviewing for a summer nursing externship at one of the hospitals i've been doing my clinicals at - we shall see!

i love this time in my life. nursing school takes up a majority of my time. my only responsibility is keeping myself alive. but is that really my only responsibility? teaching the high schoolers is my responsibilty. sharing my faith is my responsibility. learning everything i can during clinicals, so that one day i'll be able to keep my patients alive, is my responsibility.

and lent is here. i love lent. i love this season of repentance and fasting and prayer and commitment. i love that the cathedral is full in the morning with all the new daily mass attenders. i love the lines for confession. i love going to confession on a whim after listening to a really frustrating lecture about contraception and then ending up talking to my favorite priest for thirty minutes. i love that my high schoolers have really been sharing with each other. i love that they come to class when they really don't have to. i love that they want to learn. i love that they challenge me with their questions.

the high schoolers and i have been memorizing prayers and scripture passages this lent.  today, for the first time ever, everyone recited our passage perfectly. definitely a proud teacher moment. i feel like i've been trying to break through this invisible barrier with them all year and hearing them recite the Magnificant this morning with their eyes closed and voices just above a whisper, knowing that they took the time out from school and homework and jobs and sports to learn those words, was one of those big life moments that i'll never forget.

And Mary said: “My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord; my spirit rejoices in God my savior. For he has looked upon his handmaid’s lowliness; behold, from now on will all ages call me blessed. The Mighty One has done great things for me, and holy is his name. His mercy is from age to age to those who fear him. He has shown might with his arm, dispersed the arrogant of mind and heart. He has thrown down the rulers from their thrones but lifted up the lowly. The hungry he has filled with good things; the rich he has sent away empty. He has helped Israel his servant, remembering his mercy, according to his promise to our fathers, to Abraham and to his descendants forever.”

3 friskies:

Natasha said...

Love your Sunday outfits. So cute, and you are adorable!

Allie said...

You're so cute in your boots!

Kaelyn said...

Gosh, looking at the pictures from your nursing school parties really makes me miss nursing school and living with my friends! :) I love my husband and puppy and all, but living with friends was nice, too. Enjoy it!

Also, congratulations on learning so much & I will be praying for your summer activities. I know you are becoming an excellent nurse!