Wednesday, September 3, 2014

three. when i grow up.

These past few years I've watched so many of my friends embark on new life adventures - dating, marriage, graduate school, babies, grownup jobs, seminary, and exotic volunteer positions. I've prayed for contentment. I've prayed for peace. For months, I pleaded for something different. And thankfully, a lot changed this summer.

Right now, I know I am right where I am supposed to be. The Lord has shown me this again and again this past year. I just moved to the cutest historical hipster neighborhood and am living with one my best friends who encourages me daily with her wisdom and prayers. And as a nurse at the cancer hospital, everyday I leave working hoping I made a difference in someone's life. Some days are hard. Our patients are dying. It's overwhelming and I've lost count of the times I've cried on my walk home. But I know that is what I am supposed to be doing. I am content with this season for the first time since graduating.

So when I grow up I want to be ... right where the Lord wants me. I know I'll be the most happy, the most joyful, the most at peace I could ever be if I'm doing what the Lord wants and has called me to do. Whether that means I'm someone's wife and lots of little peoples mommy, or measuring fundal heights and delivering babies as a midwife, or exploring the world and using my nursing skills as a missionary nurse through an organization like Mercy Ships or Catholic Medical Mission Boards, or giving myself totally to Him as a Sister (top contenders: Missionaries of Charity, Dominicans, Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal) - obviously I have a lot of discerning to do!

“For each one of us, the Lord has his vocation, that place He wants us to live our lives - we must seek it, find it; and then, continue in it, always going onward.” - Pope Francis

5 friskies:

Tess said...

Another very cute picture. :)

Your new neighborhood sounds awesome! Pictures/details?

Best of luck with your discernment—those things are always so intense to figure out. God will make it clear to you where he wants you, but the frustrating thing is that he'll do it on his own timeline rather than NOW as we tend to want him to do. I'll be praying for you dear Allie!

Leah Mancl said...

Isn't it great to know that your living your life in the Lord's will? Sometimes it's so hard to understand, but so rewarding when we get it right! Hearing a little bit about where your heart is was lovely.

fullyinlove said...

:) you're the cutest

Kathryn Rose said...

God bless you in the work you're doing! I just want to reiterate Tess' sentiments and let you know you know you're definitely not alone in this :) His Will is definitely confusing at times, but I can sooo identify with where you're at right now. Praying for you as well!Hope you're having a lovely week.

natalie g. said...

Haha your life dreams sound vaguely familiar to my dreams. I too see my days filled with lots of littles, midwifery, and hopefully a dollop of missionary work. The Lord has shown me that their is a mister in my future rather than a habit but nothings for sure until I say "I do" I hope you continue to blog!